Thursday, May 5, 2011

The End.

So we've been home almost a month now. And in some ways it feels like I never left. Southern Indiana looks about the same as it ever did. Television is still full of commercials. And Tiger continues his drought. Sometimes I think the past three months abroad only equated to about 5 minutes at home, as if London is in the same time-zone as Narnia.
But then I slowly recall a semester's worth of memories; standing in the Sistine Chapel, witnessing a Wayne Rooney hat-trick, drinking a Guinness on the top of Dublin, and experiencing it all with a group of people I have come to call my friends. Many of them were people I never would have had the pleasure or privilege of meeting if it had not been for our mutual decision to embark on a journey with such extreme circumstances. The things we experienced inadvertently brought us together and will inextricably link us forever. And I can honestly say that they taught me just as much about myself, as our various destinations did about the world.
So I guess it makes sense that as I return to the 'real' world I also lose all of the the people that shared in my fantasy. Not to say that we weren't looking forward to getting home; Taco Bell, ESPN, and free re-fills were just some of the things we were looking forward to back here in the states. Not to mention all the family and friends we had left behind.
But after a week or so, the nostalgia begins to wear off. And as much as I love the fact that I am 5 minutes and 1 dollar away from a cheesy delicious burrito, it pales in comparison to we've had for the last three months of our lives. Yeah it's awesome to get back to Muncie and see some old faces. But how is this supposed to replace London? How can I go back? Maybe this past semester was just supposed to whet my appetite for something bigger, something more. And that's how I came to realize Muncie is just like Taco Bell: it may be cheap and convenient, but I don't want it for the rest of my life.
So thanks to all of you who have followed this incredible journey, read my blog scribblings, and viewed my mini-docs. Having the blog really kept me grounded at times; no matter how far away I was. For the entire time I knew that all my friends and family were only a click away.

CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment