Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Westminster Abbey

    I can honestly say I saw something today that I've never seen before, nor that I ever will again.  Westminster Abbey is the home to over 5,000 tombs and memorials of England's most celebrated people.  Not just Kings and Queens- but Poets, Scientists, War Heroes, and any other person that has served their Country or God (King Henry VII, Sir Isaac Newton, and Geoffrey Chaucer to name but a few).  This now secular cathedral basically serves as a Valhalla for Englishmen.  But that's not to say there aren't some American tributes as well: a plaque commemorating FDR, a congressional Medal of Honor awarded by us to the unknown British soldier, even various memorials to American writers in "Poet's Corner".
     The weight of history really hits you hard once you step in the doors.  To think of all the coronations and weddings that have taken place there over the last 900 years is staggering.  Even the original coronation chair built in the 13th Century is still there (and I have a feeling it will be used again in the coming years). 
    No place has ever truly made me feel so connected to history as Westminster Abbey did today.  But the most astonishing part is that it makes you realize "history" is not over by any means; it is being experienced by us everyday!  Kings and Queens will continued to be crowned there.  Royal couples will still get married there (see for yourself in exactly 100 days).  And the greatest minds and hearts of present day will continued to be remembered there. 
    With this in mind, I lit a prayer candle for my brother Jamie there today.  So as you see, history is never over.  Plus, I know he'd enjoy the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment